Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to Get to Know Someone (Fast Track)

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT. NOT AT ALL. I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE READING THIS IF YOU KNOW IT'S ON MY BLOG.
Now you may read on.

I have always been frustrated by awkward conversations with people I have just met, where we must delicately dance around topics in search of a common interest, sometimes without any success at all. In lieu of such potentially agonizing social interactions, I propose that new acquaintances ask each other the following three questions, after which each may walk away with a basic knowledge of the other's disposition.


1) If you could only keep one of your senses, which would it be, and why?

This question serves to provide a sense (heh) of what is important to the recipient. For example, a person who values their sense of hearing the most might be musical, or at least have some sort of interesting story as to why they like it best.

b) Cute tiny animals (like hamsters and baby bunnies), loyal ones (like dogs and horses), or wild free ones (like eagles and tigers)? Why?

This sounds like some sort of test of personality, as in, whatever he/she chooses reflects his/her temperament, but I think it doesn't actually work that way. That would be way too easy. But animals are always a good topic of conversation.

iii) What's the weirdest thing you've ever inhaled?

= Fodder for funny stories. (Laughter helps to bring people together.)


I must give credit where it is due. I shamelessly stole borrowed the first question from Emmie, who is actually thoughtful enough to come up with intriguing inquiries like that.
Oh, and, I should have mentioned this before: everything here is purely philosophical and lacks field evidence, as I've not had the opportunity to try this myself. You are free to test it out, but keep in mind that it might not work at all. If you happen to do that, please notify me with the results.